Renowned wild food chef Mike Robinson shares this super simple, achievable and impressively tasty partridge dish.
(Photographer: Charlie Sainsbury-Plaice)
4 whole partridges, plucked and drawn
Plain natural yoghurt
A few sprigs of rosemary
Mint leaves, chopped
4 tbsp honey
5 cloves of garlic
2 tsp Baharat (mixed spices)
Mixed grill spices
For the partridges
1. Using a pair of scissors or poultry shears, cut up either side of the backbone of each partridge and remove.
2. Wipe insides with some kitchen towel, hold each bird breast down and with a heavy knife, chop the pelvic bone between the legs. Then place breast up in a roasting tray.
3. Pour over the olive oil and yoghurt, then add the chopped mint, rosemary, 2-4 tbsp of honey and the juice of a lemon. Mix it all together, covering the partridges evenly as you do.
4. Cook for 15 minutes at 220°C, then finish over hot coals for 5 minutes.
For the green sauce
1. Add the juice and zest of two lemons to a food processor with 200ml EV olive oil, a big handful of basil, coriander and flat-leafed parsley, 5 cloves of garlic and a big pinch of grilled spices and the Baharat.
2. Blitz all ingredients for a minute, adding more oil if necessary. Pour into a bowl and serve alongside the partridge once cooked.